5 Client Conflicts and How to Handle Them
We're running straight into the fire with this episode of the Happy Client Show walking through how to handle situations like:
- When a client hires another agency behind your back, to complete the same work at the same time, and demands a refund
- When a client doesn't pay the final invoice, but asks for the final files
- When client verbally abuses a team member
- When you provide a quote for additional work and a client tries to strong arm the price down
- When a client gets upset when you don't allow scope creep
You might be sitting there, reading this, and saying, "Eh, nothing like this will ever happen to us." For these, it's not a matter of if, but when. And when these situations do happen, they have intense fall out in one form or another.
It's important from a business perspective to protect yourself and your team.
Overview of this Episode
In this episode we discuss:
- Specific methods for dealing with each of the five conflicts
- The importance of documenting protocol and relationship norms in the contract
- When it comes to conflict like these, it's important to have an approach ready to address them.
- Contracts could not be more important. Write them with detail, situation outlines and be sure to explain them to your clients.
- Don't kiss the feet of the client who just kicked your team member in the face. Take team member disrespect seriously.
- Have a pricing strategy. Don't just make up numbers. When a client pushes back into them, you have to have a reason behind the pricing.